Ross School

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

An Interview with Misra Walker

Misra Walker is a sophomore in high school. She was born and raised in the South Bronx. “I don’t mind staying here in the Bronx, but to raise a family, I would rather live in another city.” She stated that she had been going to The Point ever since she was seven. It was like her second home, like it could be to many others. Now at age 17, she belongs to the youth activist group located at The Point called A.C.T.I.O.N.  A.C.T.I.O.N. stands for Activists Coming To Inform Our Neighborhood. Misra had always aimed to hold a place in A.C.T.I.O.N. as a little girl, but since the group is only offered to high school students, she had to wait anxiously. She said that ever since she was in middle school she wanted to be part of it. Today A.C.T.I.O.N. works on projects affecting their communities and schools. A recent project that they are doing is trying to stop a construction of a jail in Hunts Point. She says how much A.C.T.I.O.N. is a part of her and how much she appreciates the people around her that work at The Point. She says that it’s amazing to see how dedicated they are to help out the community, even if they are not from around there. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Ross School